This spring 2021 semester, all UMKC career fairs will be virtual through Handshake!
UMKC Work-Study Jobs Fair : Wednesday, Jan 27, 11:00 am – 1:00 pm
Business, Computing, and Engineering Career Fair : Wednesday, Feb 17, 10:00 am – 2:00 pm
Teacher Recruitment Day (Invite Only) : Thursday, Feb 18, 8:30 am – 12:00 pm
Nursing and Health Sciences Career Fair : Wednesday, Mar 3, 10:00 am – 1:00 pm
Civic Leadership and Public Safety Career Fair : Wednesday, Mar 17, 10:00 am – 1:00 pm
Students and Alumni
Students registered for a UMKC virtual career fair will have the ability to sign up for times to talk with employers one-on-one (10min) or in group sessions (30min) through video, audio, or text-based chat. It is important to plan ahead and create a schedule for the day of the fair.LEARN MORE
Please follow the steps below to best prepare for the virtual career fairs this semester:
- Log into your Handshake account using your SSO and complete your account profile fully
- Schedule an appointment with UMKC Career Services to have your resume reviewed and discuss any questions you have about the fairs
- Upload your updated resume to your Handshake account for employers to view
- Look up the scheduled virtual career fairs in Handshake and register to the fairs you would like to attend (Note: If you skip this step, you will not be able to participate the day of the fair)
- Research the employers that are attending and choose some favorites
- In Handshake, sign up for time slots to talk one-on-one with your favorite employers (Note: Employers will open their schedules in the Handshake as the fairs near. Check back often to snag time slots with your favorite employers for one-on-one or group sessions)
- Create a schedule for yourself with the list of companies, their recruiter (if applicable), time frames, and session types you have signed up for to help you stay organized and efficient throughout the fair
- Prepare an elevator pitch, discussion points, and questions for recruiters to show them who you are as a professional, as well as your interest and knowledge of the company
- Dress professionally! Though this will be in a virtual setting, it is important to feel and look your best when talking to employers. Watch the Dress for Success video on our YouTube channel, UMKC Career Channel
- Ask for the employer’s contact information and follow-up after the fair via email
- Sign up for the virtual workshop, Navigating a Virtual Career Fair, on Handshake (under the Events tab) for more information about our upcoming fairs!
Check out our Virtual Career Fairs YouTube playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLtJlbzujHeVvPWeGY_cJ6o9M7FApvdcqP
For more information on what to expect and how to prepare for virtual career fairs on Handshake, click here.
Employers with an account on Handshake will have the ability to register and participate in our UMKC virtual career fairs! Through the platform, employers will be able to set their schedules for the fair to include one-on-one (10min) or group sessions (30min) with students. It is important to identify the recruiters attending and upload their set their schedules early so that students can sign up and plan ahead.LEARN MORE
If you do not have an account on Handshake, please follow the hyperlink to create an employer account. From there, our team will review your your account before access to the platform is given. If approved, your organization will then have full access to Handshake. You will be able to post open positions, advertise recruiting events, and register for our UMKC virtual career fairs. (Pro tip: when creating your employer account, make sure to use your company email for the contact information. Personal emails will not be approved.)
For more information on what to expect during the virtual fair and how to prepare, click here.
If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.